Tuesday 4 November 2014

Affection Seeking Westies


It occurs to me that even with the best of intentions life sometimes gets in the way of planning.  I vowed to myself to write a blog episode at least every other week but sometimes it is simply impossible as life takes its own twists and turns and takes decisions out of your hands.  Take the last few weeks for example:

On the 25th of September an email dropped into my box, from a numismatic friend of mine.  He did not know if I had heard about the open competition to design the new British pound coin, but thought that I should enter a design or two.  I was delighted and started researching and scribbling straight away.  I did not have absolutely oodles of time, as the deadline was the 30th of October and obviously I had to hold down my teaching job in the meantime too, but I had enough time to let my mind wander and to do some serious drawing as well.

I was getting some exciting designs together in my head and some interesting sketches on paper and enjoying the whole process.  I even asked my colleagues at the school to fill out a fun little survey for me on what Britishness meant to them.  The results gave me some very nice little avenues of exploration which I was following up on until, on the 10th of October, I got another email in my inbox.  This one was from the Central Bank of Ireland.  I had been shortlisted for the design of one of their new coins.  As this was a shortlist and as I have designed for the CBOI successfully on several occasions I was forced to drop the pound coin challenge and apply myself to the new brief, which scarily had a deadline of the 31st.  From experience I have found it is impossible to work on more than one design at the same time.  Everything gets watered down and concepts get confused and you usually end up with two messes, so I had to expunge all my British coin ideas from my head and go for the new design hammer and tong.  Which I was doing until my daughter Kate arrived for a visit on the morning of 16th of October, followed later that evening by Victor.  I had promised that I would not do any work on the coin while they were there.  On the whole I did keep to this promise, though I did manage to slip away for a couple of hours on one of the days when we were all just doing our own thing. 

Kate left on the Sunday and Vic was with me until the Wednesday, obviously I had to teach as well from Monday to Thursday and was understandably knackered also.  Come Friday the 24th I had to give myself over completely to drawing, designing and thinking and trying to get my last, and I think best, design into serious shape for my presentation.  It was a seriously large feat and I had to have my submission in the post on the Monday, by express courier at that, if I was to get it in on time.  And still in the back of my head the pound coin was lingering.

My Irish coin was finished by Saturday lunchtime and I tweaked and printed it and finished writing my concept, covering letter etc and had it all packed up and ready to go.  This was to leave me free to concentrate the remainder of the weekend on the British coin.  However by this time I was tired and having reached one deadline it was hard to rise again to tackle the second one.  My drawings were not going the way I wanted them to and my mind was awkward and numb with the euphoria of reaching one deadline.  So I poured myself a vodka and sat down with the dogs and watched rubbish telly.

On Sunday morning I sent an email to my ever-loving Victor, and told him that I thought I should throw in the towel.  I was depressed and uninspired and I had been rudely woken by the alarm when I was just negotiating terms of fidelity with George (yes, Clooney) and when I came to I of course remembered that he was now married.  A further let down!  Though for some reason my own relationship with Vic did not enter into the discussion.  Vic was wonderfully supportive about it all, though perhaps less about my 'friendship' with Mr C.  I just felt overwhelmed.  It was all too much and I had lesson plans to write and some neglected housework to catch up, not to mention a duty to rub a few Westie bellies, which brings me to the subject of this episode:  Those dogs will do anything to get one's affection, and keep it!

It's useful to have a bit of help
Or you can end up covered in dogs!

They all have their own special ways about them.  Some more subtle than others, well, none of them really subtle.  Dogs don't do subtle that well really.

As you will know by now Kerry is the vocal one so when she thinks she is being neglected she will come right out and tell me.  She will stand full square with her roly-poly body on her very short slightly bowed legs, look at me with her serious little face, tip her head back and gargle.  I usually find this so endearing that I gargle back at her, which of course means she has to reply to me.  This can go on for several back and forths and she gets more and more strident with every response.  She also starts shuffling towards me ominously every time she speaks to me.  So of course by the time her gargles have reached a pitch of fever she is at my feet and it is all rubs and cuddles. 

Of all the dogs she is the one who uses her teeth the most as well and not just for eating.  Sometimes she gets so absorbed in the loving that she nibbles your arm, but the nibbling does not hurt, in fact it is the cutest thing, done with her tiny little front teeth, it reminds me of a swan when you see them nibbling at waterweed.  She nibbles her toenails sometimes too, very endearing, and of course loves nibbling her own little dolly.  Once, when I had shorts on, she nibbled my bare leg.  Ouch!  That hurt, as she got me on a rather sensitive bit of skin, but it is clearly a nurturing nibble.  She is not hungry

When I am cooking in the kitchen it can become very dangerous with dog paws and tails underfoot, not to mention boiling pots and spitting frying pans, so I have to tell the doggies to get out or, as we have now established some ground rules, I order them to go under the cupboards. Looki is the only one who fully understands this command and does comply.  The other two sort of slouch back a step or two and sit or lie down again.   We have a fitted kitchen on legs, without a kickboard, I prefer it for cleaning and for the dogs it has become a perfect sanctuary.  When they are stressed they sometimes retreat there and, as I have just said, when I am cooking and flying about the kitchen with sharp knives and boiling water I send them under.  Well, lately, when I have sent him under Looki has developed a fake snore.  I know it is fake.  It does not sound like his usual rhythmic snoring, rather it takes the form of a sudden rather wild intake of breath, more like a snort than a snore.  I know that this is only to make sure that I remember that he is under the cupboard.  How could I forget!  I also know he is not asleep because if I drop the slightest crumb his nose and forepaws creep out immediately to see if it is something tasty.

They can all be quite in-your-face at times. If he thinks my love for him is diminishing Looki has been known to launch himself in one move from floor to couch and spread himself proprietorially across my lap, but Candy has to be the queen of direct affection.  She is the one who literally walks up you, whether you are lying in bed or slumped on the couch.  She walks directly up your body with her piercing little claws making painful indentations in your flesh the whole way up until she reaches your head.  Then, if you are not quick enough, she licks your mouth and will continue to make as much face to face contact with you at this time in order to get you to stroke her.

Another way she gets your attention is with her nose.  You might be standing in the kitchen, or sitting at your desk or on the couch and out of nowhere you get a quick double nudge in your calf.  It is quite a hard nudge with a very cold wet nose.  Bonk, bonk.  And if you ignore it, again bonk, bonk.  It is ridiculously cute and of course you are impelled to pick her up and give her a special cuddle. 

Candy also does the toe-licking thing.  I rather like it to be honest, though Vic is not partial.  She has a nice raspy tongue and I have always enjoyed a pedicure, it is rather like having your own home beautician.  And if she really needs to turn on the charm she just looks at you like an injured Bambi and lifts one forepaw up, as if to say, look at how defenceless and cute I am.  Love me!  And you do.  Oddly in recent weeks Looki seems to be learning this habit from her too, though he has yet to perfect the injured deer look.  He is still quite cute.

All of them can fall to the floor and do a full submissive roll at the drop of a hat.  Rather like those fainting goats.  Sometimes all I have to do is start bending down to tie my shoelace and they go over like dominoes.  Now having two able-bodied hands.  I can rub two bellies at one time no problem, but three takes a bit of juggling and they do get impatient waiting for their turn, so you get gargled at, nudged or snored at if you are too slow.

And all this has to be fitted in around lesson planning, coin designing, familial visits and of course blogging.  Is it any wonder I get distracted!

And so, after a bit of toe licking and tummy rubbing on that final Sunday, not to mention the housework and a spot of gardening, I took a shower, and while under the hot water, washing all thought of George out of my hair, I suddenly got an idea.  I dried myself off, got dressed and went into the office to find a drawing block.  Downstairs at the dining table I sharpened my pencils and got to work and within a couple of good working hours I had a design which was not too bad, it worked and was symbolic and to my mind beautiful.  Upstairs to the computer, I loaded it on and tweaked it and popped it into the coin template.  "Bob's your uncle!" I said.  That will do.

Me as an internationally acclaimed coin designer, showing off my last successful coin design at the Marine Institute in Oranmore, Co Galway.  Photo credit: Michael Alexander LBMRC. Thank you Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment